I have seen so many musicals, some cheap and others slightly more expensive, and I adore the theater, musicals, London, New York, and just the acting on stage lifestyle because it gives you a buzz and excitement that “what day is it?” and “what era” it is from all over the world.
However, you may not have realized that some of the movies you have seen were made into other forms first. You know how many?!
Shrek: The Musical
Jeanine Tesori composed the score for the stage adaptation of Shrek, while David Lindsay-Abaire wrote the book and lyrics. Written by William Steig and based on his 1990 book of the same name, this film was adapted from the 2001 DreamWorks picture Shrek.
- Composer: Jeanine Tesori
- Playwright: David Lindsay-Abaire
- Lyricist: David Lindsay-Abaire
Oh Mi God oh me god you guys…. Legally Blonde is a musical with music and lyrics by Laurence O’Keefe and Nell Benjamin and book by Heather Hach. The story is based on the novel Legally Blonde by Amanda Brown and the 2001 film of the same name.
- Adapted from: Legally Blonde
- Playwright: Heather HachCharacters: Elle Woods, Serena McGuire, Enid, more
- Soundtrack: Legally Blonde: The Musical (2007 original Broadway cast)
- Composers: Laurence O’Keefe, Nell BenjaminLyricists: Laurence O’Keefe, Nell Benjamin
Matilda the Musical is a stage musical based on the children’s novel of the same name by Ronald Dahl. It was written by Dennis Kelly, with music and lyrics by Tim Minchin.
- Composer: Tim Minchin
- Playwright: Dennis Kelly
- Lyricist: Tim Minchin
- Adapted from: Matilda
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, (also known as) Chitty the Musical
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, also known as Chitty the Musical, is a stage musical based on the 1968 film produced by Albert R. Broccoli. The music and lyrics were written by Richard and Robert Sherman with book by Jeremy Sams.
- First performance: April 16, 2002
- Playwright: Jeremy Sams
- Orchestrator: Chris WalkerComposers: Robert B. Sherman, Richard M. Sherman
- Lyricists: Robert B. Sherman, Richard M. Sherman
- Soundtrack: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2002 original London cast)
High school musical on stage
High School Musical on Stage! It is a musical based on the Disney Channel Original Movie High School Musical, with music and lyrics by Matthew Gerrard, Robbie Nevil, Ray and Greg Cham, Drew Seeley, Randy.
- Adapted from: High School Musical
- Playwright: David Simpatico
Elf is a musical based on the motion picture of the same name, with a score by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin. The book is adapted by Bob Martin and Thomas Meehan from the 2003 film. The musical ran on Broadway in the Christmas seasons of 2010-11 and 2012-13, and also toured the U.S. in 2012. A new tour launched in 2014.
- Music Matthew Sklar
- Lyrics Chad Beguelin
The Musical is a rock musical based on the critically acclaimed Pixar film, Toy Story. The show was created by Walt Disney Creative Entertainment for Disney Cruise Line, replacing the earlier Hercules: The Muse-Ical.
After a year of pre-production and workshops, it had a soft premiere on board the Disney Wonder in March 2008, with an official opening in April 2008.
The wedding singer
The Wedding Singer is a musical with music by Matthew Sklar, lyrics by Chad Beguelin, and a book by Beguelin and Tim Herlihy. It is based on the 1998 film of the same name.
- First performance: April 27, 2006
- Lyricist: Chad Beguelin
- Composer: Matthew Sklar
- Characters: Julia Sullivan, Glenn Guglia, Holly Sullivan, George, Robbie Hart, Grandma Rosie, Linda, Sammy
- Soundtrack: The Wedding Singer Original Broadway Cast Recording
- Playwrights: Chad Beguelin, Tim Herlihy
Finding Neverland is an original musical with music and lyrics by Gary Barlow and Eliot Kennedy and a book by James Graham.
- Playwright: James Graham
- Orchestrator: Simon Hale
- Lyricists: Gary Barlow, Eliot Kennedy
- Characters: Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Mrs. Emma du Maurier, and more
- Composers: Gary Barlow, Eliot Kennedy
- Adapted from: Finding Neverland, The Man Who was Peter Pan
The Musical is a Canadian rock musical stage play based on the cult classic film series. First performed on stage in 2003 at the Tranzac club in Toronto, Ontario, the show instantly became a massive hit.
- Date written: 2003
- Playwright: George Reinblatt
- Lyricist: George Reinblatt
- Soundtrack: Evil Dead: The Musical
- Adapted from: The Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead II
- Composers: Melissa Morris, George Reinblatt, Frank Cipolla, Christopher Bond
Edward Scissor Hands
Edward Scissorhands is a contemporary dance adaptation of the 1990 American romance fantasy film Edward Scissorhands, created by Matthew Bourne, with music by Terry Davies.
- First performance: November 22, 2005
- Playwright: Matthew Bourne
- Adapted from: Edward Scissorhands
- Composers: Terry Davies, Danny Elfman, Caroline Thompson
- Soundtrack: Edward Scissorhands
The Musical is based on the Disney film of the same name, which is, in turn, adapted from the 1914 novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Phil Collins writes the songs with a book by David Henry Hwang.
- First performance: May 10, 2006
- Playwright: David Henry Hwang
- Lyricist: Phil Collins
- Composer: Phil Collins
- Soundtracks: Tarzan, Tarzan: The Broadway Musical
Catch Me if You Can
Catch Me If You Can is a musical with a libretto by Terrence McNally and a theatrical score by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. It follows the story of con artist Frank Abagnale, Jr.
- First performance: March 11, 2011
- Composer: Marc Shaiman
- Playwright: Terrence McNally
- Adapted from: Catch Me if You Can
- Lyricists: Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
Back to the Future
Back to the Future is an upcoming musical with music and lyrics by Alan Silvestri and Glen Ballard and a book by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, adapted from their original screenplay.
- Adapted from: Back to the Future
- Playwrights: Bob Gale, Robert Zemeckis, Jamie Lloyd
- Lyricists: Alan Silvestri, Glen Ballard
- Composers: Alan Silvestri, Glen Ballard
King Kong, is a musical with music by Marius de Vries, lyrics by Michael Mitnick and Craig Lucas, a book by Lucas and additional musical and lyrical contributions by 3D, Sarah McLachlan, Guy Garvey, Justice and The Avalanches.
- Musical by Craig Lucas
- Playwright: Todd Matshikiza
- Lyricist: Todd Matshikiza
The Producers is a musical adapted by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan from Brooks’ 1968 film of the same name, with lyrics written by Brooks and music composed by Brooks and arranged by Glen Kelly and Doug Besterman.
- Musical by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan
- First performance: April 19, 2001
- Composer: Mel Brooks
- Adaptations: The Producers (2005)
- Adapted from: The Producers
- Soundtrack: The Producers (2001 original Broadway cast)
Ghost the Musical is a musical with books and lyrics by Bruce Joel Rubin and music and lyrics by Dave Stewart and Glen Ballard.
- Adapted from: Ghost
- Playwright: Bruce Joel Rubin
- Characters: Oda Mae Brown, Sam Wheat, Molly Jensen, Willie Lopez, Carl Bruner, Subway Ghost, Clara, Hospital Ghost, Louise
- Soundtrack: Ghost The Musical
- Composers: David A. Stewart, Glen BallardLyricists: Bruce Joel Rubin, David A. Stewart, Glen Ballard
The wizard of oz
The Wizard of Oz is a musical based on the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, with a book adapted by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeremy Sams. The musical uses the Harold Arlen and E. Y.
- First performance: February 7, 2011
- Adapted from: The Wizard of Oz, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Playwrights: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Jeremy Sams
- Lyricists: Yip Harburg, Tim Rice
- Composers: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Harold Arlen, Herbert Stothart
A wonderful life
A Wonderful Life is a musical with a book, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick, and music by Joe Raposo. Based on the classic Frank Capra film starring James Stewart, the story closely follows the original.
- Musical by Sheldon Harnick
- First performance: 1991
- Playwright: Sheldon Harnick
- Lyricist: Sheldon Harnick
[…] some extent, Unbearable Weight, an action comedy in which Cage is recruited by US secret services to spy on a wealthy fan and in which he also finds himself collaborating with the suspect on a […]
[…] are tolerant of young children and appreciate attention, which makes them great family pets. One thing to consider is their fur, which needs to be brushed […]
[…] movie is almost two and a half hours long, so there is a lot of footage and room for it to breathe. This […]
[…] after 250 episodes as Mitchell Pritchett, Jesse Tyler Ferguson worked on Disney+’s “High School Musical” series in 2022 and the 2023 film “Cocaine Bear.” This Elizabeth Banks-directed […]
[…] version of Mean Girls the Musical. She will play Regina George again, just like she did in the Broadway show. The movie will be shown first on Paramount+. Angourie Rice, Auli’i Cravalho, and Jaquel […]
[…] Before jumping right into online music lessons, it’s best to get the background information you need. Spend your time reading content that is dedicated to learning music for beginners. For example, you may need to spend time learning how to read music. […]