Pretty Little Liars, the American mystery-teen drama, has been running for six years, becoming ABC Family’s highest-rated series debut on record across the network’s target demographics. It is airing the first-ever episode on June 8, 2010. Loosely based on the popular book series of the same title, written by Sara Shepard. This is the cast starring
The show is set in the small town of Rosewood; the series follows the lives of four girls, Spencer Hastings, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, and Emily Fields, whose friendship shatters and changes the lives after their leader, Alison DiLaurentis, disappears.
One year later, the estranged friends are reunited as they begin receiving messages from a mysterious figure named “A,” who threatens to expose their deepest secrets, including ones they thought only Alison knew. Assuming it is Alison to discover her body and still receive these uncomfortable letters.
Going behind the scenes and digging into the trivia and facts of the actors and what happens on set things you might not have known about.
- Pretty Little Liars uses some parts of the same set that the Gilmore Girls used. So basically Stars Hollow = Rosewood.
- Ashley Benson (Hanna) was the one who suggested the show’s theme song “Secret” by The Pierces. “It’s just so spooky and eerie, and it’s perfect for the show.
- Alison’s signature lipstick shade is Nars’ Jungle Red.
- Sasha Pieterse, who plays Alison, originally auditioned to play Hanna. She was just 13 at the time.
- Aria has cheated on every boyfriend she’s had on the show.
- Ashley Benson, Lucy Hale, and Janel Parrish have all had bit parts on
- Rosewood, Pennsylvania, where takes place, isn’t actually a real town — it’s based on Rosemont, Pennsylvania, an affluent suburb near Philadelphia.
- Ashley Benson’s first job was in a Domino’s Pizza commercial.
- At 28, Troian Bellisario is actually the oldest . She’s actually older than Ian Harding, who’s 27, and plays Ezra Fitz.
- Hale is also a fashion designer: She designed a limited edition collection for Hollister “inspired by California.”
- The main characters’ houses are actually offices of Warner Brothers Studios inside. The actors shoot the outside scenes there, and the indoor scenes elsewhere.
- Pretty Little Liars” employees ride in pink “Pretty Little Golf Carts” to get from set to set.
- Lucy Hale is actually an upcoming country singer, and just released her first album “Road Between” in 2014.
- Ashley Benson said in every scene where someone is crying she laughs, not because she thinks it’s funny, but because she feels uncomfortable.
- Troian’s father is the director of the hit television show “NCIS,” and he also has a star on the Walk of Fame.
- Tyler Blackburn and Ashley Benson dated in real life. They are not officially together at the moment, but they have been on and off for quite a while. Ashley also has been in a long-term relationship with Justin Bieber’s stylist, Ryan Good.
- Ashley and Shay are besties in real life. The two hang out all the time on and off set and even have a duet nickname: “Buttahbenzo.”
- Ashley and Lucy met years before PLL – on MySpace
- Officer Garrett Reynolds might seem a little familiar – he played Italian popstar Pablo in The Lizzie McGuire Movie.
- The core cast could have been majorly different. While we’re on the topic of cast could-have-beens, let’s talk about these possibilities. — Brant Daugherty (Noel) auditioned for both Toby and Ezra.— Shay Mitchell (Emily) originally auditioned for Spencer.— Lucy Hale (Aria) auditioned to play Hanna.— Tammin Sursok (Jenna) wanted to be Spencer.